3’ 10” x 4’ 6” A beautiful Caucasian Shirvan area rug from the southern Azerbaijan region of the Caucasus is in a prayer rug design with an abrash dark brown field. The field design elements include the “hour glass” and the star patterns repeated in each row. There are multiple borders in yellow and rust red colors with geometric designs in blue, red and yellow. The use of vegetable dyes and the gradual change in tones (abrash) is beautifully demonstrated in this rug.
- Dimensions: 3’ 10” x 4’ 6”
- Date of Manufacture: 4th Quarter of the 1800s
- Place of Origin: Azerbaijan, Caucasus
- Material: Wool pile on a wool foundation
- Condition: Wear consistent with age and use