6' 7″ x 9' 9″ This antique Tabriz rug is following the design of the Caucasian Kuba and Shirvan rugs from the 19th century in the "Afshan" design (stylized dragon and blossom). The rug has a geometric all-over design similar to Caucasian Shirvan rugs which are generally in a smaller 4×6 size. What makes this truly one-of-kind is that the design and pattern of those small rugs are implemented in a larger room size with the same details in the color palate. The use of geometric forms and bright colors throughout makes a truly wonderful design.
This is part of the identical pair (1260 and 1261) that was most likely commissioned to a top rug weaver in the city of Tabriz in NW Persia and custom-designed and made in the 2nd quarter of the 20th century as a wedding gift.
- Dimensions: 6' 7″ x 9' 9″
- Date of Manufacture: 1st Quarter of 20th Century
- Place of Origin: NW Persia
- Material: Wool pile on a cotton foundation with vegetable dyes
- Condition: Wear consistent with age and use