1' 2" x 2' 5" Vintage native American Navajo pictorial rug with the mytical birds design hand-woven in the SW United States in the mid 1900s. Because the birds can fly and live between earth and the skies, they have a special meaning in the Native American culture and are often depicted in their hand-crafted art.
Navajo rugs are generally flat woven with wool for the body of the rug and usually cotton foundation. Navajo weavers use natural organic dyes that are available around their tribal land. The Navajo rugs have geometric designs and the design and symbols have religious and cultural meanings.
- Dimensions: 1' 2" x 2' 5"
- Date of Manufacture: 3rd Quarter of the 1900s
- Place of Origin: SW America
- Material: Wool on a cotton foundation with natural dyes
- Condition: Wear consistent with age and use