4’ 5” X 4’ 5” An extremely rare dated early 1800s square Caucasian Shirvan in an abrash green. The Caucasian Shirvan rug is from the 3rd quarter of the 1800 and it is woven in the rug. Looking at the date that is woven in the center of the rug in the Arabic numerals, which reads “1275” in the Islamic Hijri calendar which corresponds to 1858 AD. The unique design and the colors used in the rug also supports the date and the rarity of the rug. Another unique aspect of this rug is the use of the green and yellow colors which are some of the rarest. In addition, the rug has one of the most unique border designs of any Caucasian rug woven in the 1800s. The design also is reminiscent of much earlier weavings, mainly rugs woven pre 1500s.
- Dimensions: 4’ 5” X 4’ 5”
- Date of Manufacture: 1st/2nd Quarter of the 1800s
- Place of Origin: Caucasus
- Material: Wool pile on a wool foundation with natural organic dyes
- Condition: Wear consistent with age and use