3’ 5” x 4’ 4” A beautiful Caucasian Shirvan area rug from the southern Azerbaijan region of the Southern Caucasus is in geometric medallion design with an abrash navy blue field. The Caucasian rug has a triple medallion design in red and ivory set in an abrash blue/green color field. The border is in ivory with geometric designs in blue, red and yellow. The use of vegetable dyes and the gradual change in tones (abrash) is beautifully demonstrated in this rug where one can see three different shades of blue/green in the field. The rug is worn but in overall good condition.
- Dimensions: 3’ 5” x 4’ 4”
- Date of Manufacture: 4th Quarter of the 1800s
- Place of Origin: Southern Caucasus
- Material: Wool pile on a wool foundation with organic dyes
- Condition: Wear consistent with age and use